Fun Fact: "Wi-Fi doesn't stand for anything. It is not an acronym. There is no meaning.”
:a brand name certifying that a device of other product is compatible with a set of broadband wireless networking standards
- "Free WI-FI is available in most restaurants nowadays!"
App / (noun) [ap]
:typically a small, specialized program downloaded onto mobile devices
- There seems to be an app for everything to make my life more convenient!"
Software / (noun) [sawft-wair]
:the programs used to direct the operation of a computer, as well as documentation giving instructions on how to use them
- "Install the security software before we get a computer virus!"
Email / (noun) [ee-meyl]
:a system for sending messages from one individual to another via telecommunications links between computers or terminals using dedicated software
- "Email is a revolutionary way of communicating!"
Social Media / (noun) [soh-shuh l] [mee-dee-uh]
:websites and other online means of communication that are used by large groups of people to share information and to develop social and professional contacts
- "Facebook is my favorite social media site!"
Internet / (noun) [in-ter-net]
:a vast computer network linking smaller computer networks worldwide. The Internet includes commercial, educational, governmental, and other networks, all of which use the same set of communications protocols
- "The internet help allows me to save time and money when purchasing groceries!"
Hardware / (noun) [hard-wair]
:the mechanical, magnetic, electronic, and electrical devices comprising a computer system, as the CPU, disk drives, keyboard, or screen
- "Hardware purchases are typically more expensive when compared to software because these are the pieces you shouldn't have to replace!"
Browser / (noun) [brou-zer]
:a software program that allows the user to find and read encoded documents in a form suitable for display, especially such a program for use on the World Wide Web
- "Google Chrome is a widely used web browser!"
HotSpot / (noun) [hot] [spot]
:a place where users of portable computers or mobile devices can get wireless broadband access to the Internet or another network
- "We need to find a free WI-FI hotspot, I cannot use any more data!"
Bot / (noun) [bot]
:a device or piece of software that can execute commands, reply to messages, or perform routine tasks, as online searches, either automatically or with minimal human intervention (often used in combination)
- "A bot can help any online shopper get the best price but scanning multiple sites for the same product!"
Scanner / (noun) [skan-er]
:a computer-aided electronic system using photoelectric cells to separate copy, as color illustrations, into its primary colors, correct color copy, and produce a set of color separations ready for proofing or printing
- "A scanner is often part of the 4 in 1 printer that includes printing, scanning, copying and faxing!"
Flash Drive / (noun) [flash] [drahyv]
:a very small, portable, solid-state hard drive that can be inserted into a USB port for storage and retrieval of data. All known as a thumb drive or USB drive
- "You can use a flash drive to backup your work files!"